While my blog has been quiet, my life certainly has not. I’m definitely in a new phase of the Bicycle Astronomy project, hunkering down to take care of business and gear up for a more active spring and summer season. I will still do Bicycle Astronomy events throughout the winter, but they’ll be a little farther between and, I assume, a little more sparsely populated. Though there are always folks with down parkas in the closet that they don’t get to wear enough!
I have a lits of blog entries I want to write, as long as my arm. I have to change the inner tube on the back tire of my Yuba Mundo. I have most of the Kickstarter rewards made…I just need to find the time to get the packages together and start delivering them and mailing them out. I have a cargo pannier to make (and write about) and, or course, the Veloscope to design and build.
That’s moving forward, by the way. I got some new files from Danny (the 3d designer) last week. Here’s a screen shot of the autocad layout. Most of it can be cut on a 4×8 1/2″ thick bamboo ply (or other plywood) sheet. The clamps that will hold the truss tubes are at the moment designed to be cut from 3/4″ ply.
And here is a glimpse of how the base of the telescope (what we call the mirror and rocker boxes) will look when assembled:
Danny is tweaking the design a bit so we cut the truss clamps out of the same 4×8 1/2″ plywood sheet. For strength we’ll have to double up the clamps to 1″ thickness (instead of the 3/4″ shown above), and that means the dimensions of several of the scope components will increase by about 1/2″ overall. So progress continues…but we are getting there.
Once I have the “final” file from Danny, I’ll start ordering the other parts, will journey out to the archery shop to buy 8 carbon fiber arrow shafts, and we’ll get the Veloscope into proto-production. I’ll have a lot more to say about this soon, I hope!